The proper care of a child’s oral health starts even before the first tooth erupts. It is advisable for a parent to sanitize their gums by using a clean damp cloth to get rid of food particles and other harmful substances.
To help parents especially the new ones care for their child’s oral health effectively, here are some tips that they should follow.
- It is best to bring the child to a dentist as soon as their first tooth erupts (six months) and not later than their first birthday.
- Tooth decay can occur once there is a tooth present, and it is when brushing should start. Make sure to use a fluoride toothpaste since it coats the teeth to prevent harmful substances from sticking on its surface.
- The American Dental Association recommends the use of toothpaste in the size of a grain of rice for children whose age are 0 to 3 years; while for those 3 year olds and above, they can use a pea-sized amount.
- Kids should also start flossing early to make sure that there will be no foods stuck in between.
- Prevent the common occurrence of baby bottle tooth decay. Do not send your child to bed with a bottle of milk. Prolonged exposure from this liquid can result in tooth decay due to the sugar it contains.
- Give them healthy fruits and vegetable for snacks instead of sugary candies or starchy junk foods. To make it more enjoyable, cut it into fun and bite-sized shapes! Not only is it good for the body but to the mouth as well. Crunchy fruits and vegetables can remove any harmful build-ups on the enamel, and it can also promote the sufficient production of saliva needed to remove any food residue in the mouth naturally.
- Be a good example by performing dental hygiene practices with the child. Brush and floss your teeth, and at the same time, make sure to show them that you also follow the 2-minute duration required. Also, educate them how proper flossing is done. The practice makes it a more exciting event for them to look forward to!
- Bring your child to the dentist regularly preferably every six months. At Midwest Family Dental Care, we provide pediatric dental care by offering sealants, fluoride applications, crowns, fillings, and emergency dental care. These services are sure to help in properly maintaining the health of your child’s teeth and other oral structures!
The health of your child’s teeth is in your hands! Start teaching them the proper habits early for them to continue doing so until they mature. We at Midwest Family Dental Care are always here to help!
Your children also deserve outstanding dental care services! We provide Pediatric Dentistry in Kalamazoo, MI. Book your appointment with us at Midwest Family Dental Care and let us help you achieve beautiful and healthy teeth!